THE BILLS BANNING SINGLE USEPLASTICS (AB 1080 AND SB54) ARE TOP PRIORITY CLIMATE BILLS! Takeaction before the Legislative Session ends on Aug 31.
SB 54 and AB 1080 are companionbills requiring manufacturers and retailers in California to reducesingle-use plastic packaging and products by 75 percent by 2030. After2030, all single-use plastics sold in the state would need to becompostable or recyclable.
- Banningsingle use plastics is a critical step to a zero-emissions, zero-wasteeconomy.
- Plasticsare made from fossil fuel–from cheap by-products offracking.
- China nolonger accepts cheap plastics for recycling. Plastic recycling is nolonger an option.
- Helpvulnerable communities near plastic production facilities, highwaysused for shipping, and incinerators or landfills.
- Addressthe plastic boom caused by COVID-19
- Providefinancial relief for local governments that spend millions on litterclean up every year
- Createthousands of green jobs in California
HOW TO TAKE ACTION
Click here for information on how toemail your Senator orAssemblymember.This link also provides sample scripts to urge them to pass the SingleUse Plastics bills into law. The offices have been overwhelmed withphone calls lately and have asked for constituents to emailinstead.
Click here for the social media toolkit!