Please send a short email to the Mayor, Vice Mayor, Council members, City Clerk, and City Manager [cut and paste all the addresses below] asking them to step up their ambitions and pass a meaningful Climate Emergency Resolution!
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, CityClerk@srcity.org, CMOffice@srcity.org
Speak in your own words. Short and sweet is perfect. Here are some talking points to get you started:
- Over 1,250 national and sub-national governments have declared a climate emergency (http://bit.ly/ce-governments)
- There is no remaining “carbon budget” that we can safely burn.
- Reducing our current emissions doesn’t solve the problem. It just slows down the rate at which we’re making the problem worse.
- We have to put ourselves on a steep path to zero emissions by 2040 at the latest. That’s 7% to 10% per year starting now!
- Just because there are many causes of the climate crisis that are beyond our control, we are still obligated to do everything that is within our control to address the climate crisis.
- Perhaps most important: we need to set a clear goal of zero emissions and we need to annually track our progress toward that goal.
- Implementing climate actions moves us closer to a clean, equitable, resilient, people-friendly future.
- Many of the “no-regrets” actions that we can implement immediately save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the same time!